The first records of Borgo di Lilliano date back to the Middle Ages. At that time it was a fortified complex comprising the Church of Santa Cristina with a characteristic single large nave (unusual for the parish churches of Chianti).
The facade, decorated with a well preserved cornice made of limestone, is highly original. The impressive construction of the farmhouse dominates the village. The complex was owned by the Marquis of Tuscany, later by the Abbey of Poggibonsi and by the Hospital of Santa Maria Nuova di Firenze. It was then known as Palazzo di Santa Maria Nuova a Ligliano. Lilliano suffered sieges and destruction during thewars between Sienna and Florence due to its position on the border between the territories of the two extensive, argumentative republics and to the fact that it was close to important strongholdssuch as Staggia, Castellina in Chianti andMonteriggioni. While retaining the medieval formation which can be seen in the topography, the cellars and enclosure walls, the architecture developed gradually through a series of styles to assume its current eighteenth century appearance. The bottling and sale of wineswas begun in 1958 by princess Eleonora Ruspoli Berlingieri, whose family bought the estate in 1920.Giulio and Pietro Ruspoli are the current owners. The farm offers farmhouse holidays, tastings anddirect sale in the cellar of Chianti Classico and the farm’s other products.